Array of pix from South Mayo U14 B final win


August 19: We have just added pictures HERE – thanks to photographers Kathrina Henehan and Sean O’Connell (might take a few minutes to sync all of them – you should eventually see 18 pictures in total).


Monday, August 17th, here’s report by Billy Horan, Club PRO

A palmed goal in injury-time by full-forward Cian O’Connell was the decisive score in Ballinrobe’s defeat of fancied Carra by 4-5 to 3-7 in the South Mayo U14 B football championship final at Hollymount on Friday evening.

It was a thrilling encounter and Ballinrobe, in front by 2-4 to 1-3 at the interval, were taxed to the limit to contain a spirited opposition rally in the second-half.

Scorers: Ballinrobe – Cian O’Connell 2-0, Seamus Langan 2-0, Dylan Sweeney 0-3; Carras – Kyle Munroe 1-3, Thomas Higgins 1-2, Liam Og Horkan 1-0, Cormac Keane, Enda Hession 0-1 each.

Ballinrobe: L Jennings; P Finlay, C Cusack, E Burke; E Duffy, E Gilrane, J Burke; J Heneghan, C O’Brien; S Langan, J Flanagan, D Sweeney; B Hynes, C O’Connell, D Sweeney.

Sub: S Boshell.

Carras: B Slattery; D Acton, T Stephens, C Ryan; T Higgins, B Feighery, N Burke; L Og Horkan, K Munroe; C Keane, S Macken, E Heraty; C Keaveney, C Kelleghan, B O’Toole

Subs: E Hession, M McDonagh.

Ref: John E Burke, Hollymount-Carramore.


By Liam Horan, Webmaster
Our U14s were locked in a Titanic battle with Carras in the South Mayo U14 B final this evening in Hollymount – and, thankfully, we came out winners.
We led all the way through but, powered by substitute Enda Hession, Carras rallied in the second-half.
Agonisingly, they took the lead in the dying minutes but we surged upfield again and another excellent Ballinrobe move ended with full-forward Cian O’Connell palming the ball to the net. It was a neat piece of work by Cian – had he caught it, he might have been bottled up, but he had the presence of mind, and the skill, to guide it over the goalkeeper’s head without catching it.
Joy was unconfined in the Ballinrobe ranks and up on the terracing. Carras came back to score another point but when referee John E Burke sounded the final whistle, we were a point ahead.

This team has persisted all season despite taking some beatings. They are a young team – most of them are there again next year – and we have high hopes for them. You couldn’t but notice their teamwork and high skill level this evening.
This victory gives them the reward they so richly deserve for all their efforts all season. Management say they are a joy to work with and the enthusiasm they show will surely stand to them.
Onwards and upwards.
Ewan Duffy, captain, accepted the cup from South Mayo GAA chairman Ger McHugh. Well done to the management team of Pat Kennedy, John Burke, John Sweeney and Alan Flannery (who was unable to be present this evening – abroad on work).
Goalkeeper Luke Jennings not only saved a penalty, but he made a breathtaking double save in the second-half when the drama was reaching its peak.
A full report will be provided here by club PRO Billy Horan in due course, with team list, scorers and the lot.
It was a timely boost for the club after the U16s defeat in the Mayo D final at the hands of Ballaghaderreen on Tuesday night. Like Carras tonight, they rallied in the second-half but just couldn’t bridge the gap.
Hopefully these two final appearances this week signal the start of a brighter future after some years when we have not been all that successful at under-age level.